Welcome to my food blog!

I enjoy cooking and eating just as much as creating art, so I have created this blog to share my passion for food. My collection of recipes have been inspired by my travels to various places, including Vietnam, Italy, and New York City and by close family and friends who share in my passion for food. I have been told that I cook like I paint, oftentimes throwing in ingredients with no measuring tools and using whatever I find available. The upside is that I never create the same exact dish twice. The downside is I never create the same exact dish twice. But one thing for sure, it's always unique and tasty and in the end, that's what counts. I want to share these amazing experiences of cooking and eating with you. I cook by sight, so it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Every ingredient is an approximation, so you would have to use your own judgment to add or decrease salt, pepper or any other ingredient depending on your taste. I will try my best to use some measurements (for those of you who might be interested in trying out these recipes). Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Fried Chicken



My husband's favorite dish is my fried chicken, a very simple, savory dish that is crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. It took quite a few trials and errors before I was able to simplify it to this point.

When I was living in New York City, one of my close friend's mom used to make these amazing pork chops marinated with fish sauce and ginger powder. She explained that the fish sauce gives the dish depth, kind of like how the Italians use anchovies in a pasta dish, and the ginger decreases the pork smell.

I am Vietnamese, so using fish sauce is second nature. In my fried chicken dish, I have incorporated these two special ingredients, fish sauce and fresh ginger juice, which really amps up the flavor. Not only will you enjoy eating more than one piece of chicken, it tastes great with steam rice and a side dish of steam veggies, such as broccoli.

INGREDIENTS: Servings of 4-6
6-8 lbs of chicken wings and drumsticks (at the store, one package of each)
1 cup of all purpose flour
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of salt
black pepper
paprika
garlic powder
3 tbsp of fish sauce
1 knob of fresh ginger root (puree and squeeze out juice, about 3 tbsp)
6 cups of vegetable or canola oil

DIRECTIONS:

1) Marinating the chicken:
Put the chicken pieces in a big metal bowl or pot.
Pour in the fresh ginger juice and fish sauce. Using your hands (or tongs), mix the chicken so the juice gets fully incorporated. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, garlic powder and mix. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.



2) Seasoning the flour:
In another bowl, pour in the flour. Using a fork, stir in a teaspoon of sugar, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper. Cover each piece of chicken with this mixture.



3) Frying the chicken:
In the medium size frying pot, pour in the cooking oil so that it covers two-thirds of the pot. On high heat, bring the temperature to 375 degrees or basically until the oil sizzles if you sprinkle a pinch flour. Place 4 to 5 pieces of chicken (pick the same size pieces for even cooking). Cover the pot with a lid and fry on med high heat for about 8-10 minutes, turning the chicken once (so about 4-5 minutes on each side). The chicken is done by the light brown color and it will tend to float.



Enjoy your crispy fried chicken with steam rice and veggies. For an Asian flare, you can dip it with crushed chilies and lime juice.

3 comments:

  1. The blog is awesome. Now the whole world will know how good I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you had soul the you ordered the collared at Juniors. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Your support and encouragement mean a lot to me guys. mrsawyersopus, thanks for introducing us to Juniors and Sylvia's. Great places!

    ReplyDelete