Welcome to my food blog!

I enjoy cooking and eating just as much as creating art, so I have created this blog to share my passion for food. My collection of recipes have been inspired by my travels to various places, including Vietnam, Italy, and New York City and by close family and friends who share in my passion for food. I have been told that I cook like I paint, oftentimes throwing in ingredients with no measuring tools and using whatever I find available. The upside is that I never create the same exact dish twice. The downside is I never create the same exact dish twice. But one thing for sure, it's always unique and tasty and in the end, that's what counts. I want to share these amazing experiences of cooking and eating with you. I cook by sight, so it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Every ingredient is an approximation, so you would have to use your own judgment to add or decrease salt, pepper or any other ingredient depending on your taste. I will try my best to use some measurements (for those of you who might be interested in trying out these recipes). Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beef and Shrimp Patties



Beef and shrimp patties is a dish I really enjoy making for my dad and he loves them! It is made with ground meat, fresh shrimp, shredded carrots, eggs, and cellophane or glass noodles (in Vietnamese, the noodles are called bún tàu or miến). It has origins from spring rolls, called chả giò, because the filling in the rolls are seasoned ground meat. These patties, especially if seasoned with a saltier flavor, go well with steam rice.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

1 package of ground beef (about 1 pound)
15 medium to large shrimps, de-shelled and finely chopped
1 dried bundle of cellophane/glass noodles (also called bean threads)
1 medium carrot, finely shredded
1 medium onion, finely diced
4 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons or more of fish sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 eggs
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
vegetable or canola oil



The fish sauce with the "three crabs" label is one of the best brands of fish sauce



The noodles soaking in hot water until they soften


DIRECTIONS:

1) Soak the noodles in hot water until they soften, then drain. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl using a fork. Season the fish sauce and salt according to taste. I like to fry a small patty to make sure the seasoning is just right before I cook the whole batch.

2) In a pan, pour in a generous amount of cooking oil. Using a fork and spoon, scoop a peach size amount of meat into the pan and press into a patty shape. Fry on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes or more on each side.



The ingredients in a bowl



Frying the patties

No comments:

Post a Comment