Welcome to my food blog!

I enjoy cooking and eating just as much as creating art, so I have created this blog to share my passion for food. My collection of recipes have been inspired by my travels to various places, including Vietnam, Italy, and New York City and by close family and friends who share in my passion for food. I have been told that I cook like I paint, oftentimes throwing in ingredients with no measuring tools and using whatever I find available. The upside is that I never create the same exact dish twice. The downside is I never create the same exact dish twice. But one thing for sure, it's always unique and tasty and in the end, that's what counts. I want to share these amazing experiences of cooking and eating with you. I cook by sight, so it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Every ingredient is an approximation, so you would have to use your own judgment to add or decrease salt, pepper or any other ingredient depending on your taste. I will try my best to use some measurements (for those of you who might be interested in trying out these recipes). Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Green Papaya Salad with Prawns

(Gỏi đu đủ với tôm)







It has been awhile since I've blogged about food but I have managed to try some new dishes and experiment with different recipes. One of my favorite recipe is inspired by Australia based Vietnamese chef Luke Nguyen. Here is my interpretation of Green Papaya Salad with Prawns, a popular Vietnamese salad. In Vietnam, Gỏi đu đủ is usually served with beef jerky, but I much prefer the flavor and freshness of prawns. It is springtime, an ideal time to take advantage of the fresh vegetables from local farms. I recommend incorporating local organic produce into salads when possible. You will taste the difference!

Green Papaya Salad with Prawns
Servings: 4-6
Prep Time: 1 hour


The fresh fish sauce dressing

Fresh fish sauce dressing:
6 tablespoons fish sauce
6 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely minced
3 red chilies, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (one whole lime)


The salad ingredients include green papaya, carrots, herbs, lime and chilies

Salad:
1 green papaya, peeled and finely julienned*
1 head of butter lettuce or leafy green lettuce, thinly sliced
4 medium carrots, thinly shredded (use a vegetable peeler)
4 tablespoon fried red Asian shallots*
4 tablespoon crushed roasted peanuts
Fresh green mint leaves, finely sliced
Fresh Asian basil leaves, finely sliced*
Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely sliced
16-20 medium-size tiger prawns (shrimp), peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise

*Can be found at specialty Asian markets.


Halved papaya with shredded carrots and fresh herbs

DIRECTIONS:

To make the fresh fish sauce dressing:

Combine the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water in a saucepan and place on medium heat. Stir well until the sugar is melted, turn off the heat, then allow to cool. If you do not want to cook the fish sauce due to the strong smell, another option is to melt the sugar with a cup of hot water. Then combine this mixture with the fish sauce and vinegar and place in the refrigerator to cool. To serve, add the minced garlic and chilies and stir through with the lime juice. The red chilies are extremely hot, so use them with caution.


Mixing the ingredients for the dressing in a pot



The dressing with lots of spicy chilies


To cook the shrimp:

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add in the prawns with shell on. Cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes. Place the cooked shrimp in ice water, then peel the shrimp. On a cutting board, halve the shrimp lengthwise, and devein.

For the salad:
First, peel the hard green papaya with a vegetable peeler. Then cut the papaya in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape away all of the seeds from the inside. Rinse the papaya with cold water. Use a mandolin to finely julienne the papaya into long strips (*note* papaya can be difficult and slippery to julienne. Be careful when using a mandolin. It is better to stop when you get close to the core in order to prevent cuts to your hand). Submerge the green papaya in cold water for five minutes and then drain. This keeps the crisp texture of the green papaya.

The carrots add a nice sweetness to the salad so make sure to pick fresh organic carrots when possible. For the carrots, use a vegetable peeler to peel away the skin and then shred them into long, thin strips.

Wash the lettuce in cold water. Lay the leaves on top of each other and slice thinly. In a large bowl combine the green papaya, lettuce, carrots, sliced mint, sliced basil and sliced cilantro.

Putting it all together:
Place salad onto a serving platter and arrange the prawns on top of the green
papaya salad. Generously drizzle the fresh fish sauce dressing on top of the salad.
Garnish with fried Asian shallots and roasted crushed peanuts. Enjoy!


The salad with all the toppings including shrimp, peanuts, herbs and chilies

2 comments:

  1. Quan-your papaya salad reminded me of those "hang qua" in VN when I was a little kid before got transplanted over here. You are right about the use of beef jerky. I haven't had these for a long time. Ok I am not that old but anything > 10yrs is long for me. Any way. The only thing I couldn't remember is whether the texture of papaya was crispy or soft. Do you remember? Couldn't recall. But it is fun to see it posted here. Thanks for sharing. Now you would have to complete the series with a few more "hang qua" items such as che and xoi.
    As an amateur photographer I have to give you complements for great photos as well. Well lighting and composition. Which camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right. Che and xoi were treats for us, mainly eaten for dessert or on special occasions, such as church functions, Tet celebration, and other family get-togethers. But sometimes, I find certain kinds are too sweet, don't you? I like the che with crushed ice; it gives it extra texture and helps dilute the intense sweetness.
    The papaya is soft, but once you rinse it with cold water, it does crisp up. With the combo of the soft lettuce and herbs combined with the crunchy roasted peanuts and onion chips, I feel the dish has great texture and balance.
    Thanks! I use both a Canon 20d and G9. I especially love the outdoor natural lightning.

    ReplyDelete