Welcome to my food blog!

I enjoy cooking and eating just as much as creating art, so I have created this blog to share my passion for food. My collection of recipes have been inspired by my travels to various places, including Vietnam, Italy, and New York City and by close family and friends who share in my passion for food. I have been told that I cook like I paint, oftentimes throwing in ingredients with no measuring tools and using whatever I find available. The upside is that I never create the same exact dish twice. The downside is I never create the same exact dish twice. But one thing for sure, it's always unique and tasty and in the end, that's what counts. I want to share these amazing experiences of cooking and eating with you. I cook by sight, so it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Every ingredient is an approximation, so you would have to use your own judgment to add or decrease salt, pepper or any other ingredient depending on your taste. I will try my best to use some measurements (for those of you who might be interested in trying out these recipes). Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chả Giò Vietnamese Egg Rolls





I am very excited to share with you one of my dearest recipes passed down from my mom to me. Ever since I was little, I would help her make these delicious egg rolls for special occasions, such as holidays and weddings. I have made some changes, such as using ground beef instead of pork and I have also added minced shrimp to give the egg rolls another dimension. Here is a pictorial step by step recipe for Vietnamese chả giò. I will add the written description soon. So stay tuned...




Egg roll ingredients




Dried black mushrooms, also known as tree/wood ear fungus, called nam meo



Black mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced



The filling: ground beef, shrimp, onions, scallions, eggs, glass noodles, black mushrooms



The filling



The filling



Frying a sample for taste



Step 1: placing the filling on the wrapper



Step 2: first roll



Step 3: folding the sides of the wrapper into the center



Step 4: egg wash on the tip of the wrapper




Step 5: the final roll






Into the frying pot



Frying the egg rolls



Nước chấm, a Vietnamese "dipping sauce" consisting of fish sauce, fresh minced garlic, lime juice, sugar, water, and chilis



Nước chấm with egg rolls

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! The photography is nice as well. Miss cooking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting to see that -- although the ingredients differ -- the process is very similar to how Filipinos created lumpia. Nice photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chieu.
    Yes, Ronnell, it does have a lot of similarities to lumpia, which is also yuuuuummmy :-)

    ReplyDelete