Welcome to my food blog!

I enjoy cooking and eating just as much as creating art, so I have created this blog to share my passion for food. My collection of recipes have been inspired by my travels to various places, including Vietnam, Italy, and New York City and by close family and friends who share in my passion for food. I have been told that I cook like I paint, oftentimes throwing in ingredients with no measuring tools and using whatever I find available. The upside is that I never create the same exact dish twice. The downside is I never create the same exact dish twice. But one thing for sure, it's always unique and tasty and in the end, that's what counts. I want to share these amazing experiences of cooking and eating with you. I cook by sight, so it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Every ingredient is an approximation, so you would have to use your own judgment to add or decrease salt, pepper or any other ingredient depending on your taste. I will try my best to use some measurements (for those of you who might be interested in trying out these recipes). Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Nachos with Cheese and Fresh Salsa


When I have food cravings, sometimes, a bag of chips simply won't do. Occasionally, it would be a bowl of ramen noodles and other times, well, only a big plate of nachos with warm, melted cheese and fresh salsa will hit the spot. Last summer, while visiting my family, my brother made this amazing fresh salsa that had quite a kick from the jalapeños. I liked it so much that I just had to incorporate it in my nachos, making it one of my all time favorite snack. I hope that you would enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

Servings: 2-4
Prep time: 30 minutes

The ingredients for the salsa

Ingredients:

Handful of fresh cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, orange), finely diced
1 package of lean ground beef (preferably grass fed)
Half of a red onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1-2 jalapeño, finely diced
pinch of paprika (optional)
pinch of sugar, salt and black pepper
dash of soy sauce (optional)
cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon of olive oil
juice of 1-2 limes
1 bag of tortilla chips

Directions:


The fresh salsa:

Wash all your vegetables and finely dice them. Place them in a large bowl. Add in the juice of 1 to 2 limes (depending on taste) and mix. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.





All of the salsa ingredients in a bowl

The beef topping:

In a pan, pour in the olive oil. Then sautee the ground beef until thoroughly cooked. Season with a pinch of paprika, salt, pepper, sugar, and a dash of soy sauce (optional).

Sautéing the ground beef

The cheese topping:
Place nachos on a metal pan. Top them with the shredded cheese and melt in the oven for a couple of minutes. Take out the nacho cheese, placing them on a serving place. Top the nachos with the cooked ground beef. Add your fresh salsa and enjoy.

Melting the cheese

Nachos with cheese and fresh salsa

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! You took beautiful pictures! I'm going to try this after the hurricane Irene passes us.

    ReplyDelete